Welcome back to the POP QUIZ! This is a regular, yet totally unexpected, feature where we ask students, parents, staff, our friends, and partners to answer a few questions about what they are learning, reading, and thinking about. Today we have compiled some answers from the newest members of our CIS family: our 2012/2013 interns! We have 13 fabulous college students from Western Michigan University School of Social Work (five working on their Masters and four working towards their bachelors) and four from Western Michigan Music Therapy. Here they are, in no particular order (drum roll, please): Sarah Thompson, Luke Norcross, Lauren Buckley, Courtney Maynard, Calli Carpenter, Brad Hatfield, David Malinowski, Courtney Neff, Jordan Snellenberger, Juna Spencer, Natalie Schneider, Lyndsay Nuyen, and Robyn Hoffenblum.
Alright, interns: pencils out, eyes on your own paper. Good luck.
What is something interesting you’ve recently learned?
- Cell phones don’t work well when they fall into fish tanks
- A lot about the Amish community and their customs when it comes to leaving the community
- I learned a little bit about CEU’s (Credit Educational Units)
- I need to be able to speak up if I need something
- Some new Michael Jackson songs
- I’ve recently learned a lot about audio technology involving synthesizers, mixers, speakers, etc.
- How to play “Big Black Car” by Gregory Alen Isakov
- The process for mandated reporting
- The top twenty music hits
- What the third “W” in “BW3” is for (beef on weck)
What are you currently reading?
- Working Poor in America
- Married to the Military
- Odd Girl Out
- Hunger Games
- Music therapy research
- A family therapy book by Virginia Satir
- Pride & Prejudice
- Team of Rivals
- The Subterraneans
What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Someone that somebody else will look up to
- Working in a veteran’s hospital with combat soldiers with PTSD [Post Traumatic Stress Disorder]
- Social worker
- A licensed MSW (Master’s in Social Work) with my private practice working with families and couples.
- School Social Worker
- Mother and wife
- Working with children in a hospital setting
- A practicing music therapist
- A successful music therapist working in a psychiatric hospital who also conducts research
What is your favorite word right now?
- For real
- Rafiki (means friend)
Will you share with us something that has been on your mind lately?
- Starting my internship
- I would like to make a positive influence with the students I work with this year.
- My wedding
- Applying to grad school
- Will this weather ever be consistent?
- Spring break
- My need to learn more popular [musical] repertoire
- Upcoming national music therapy conference
- Attacks on American Embassies
Behind every successful student is a caring adult. Who has been your caring adult?
- My mom always said that she hoped at any given point in life, if asked, she would want to be able to say she was growing, transitioning, and learning. I admire this.
- My mom has made a big difference in my life by always giving me love and support, especially when I need it the most. She wants me to succeed.
- My dad—always told me I can do whatever I want to do as long as I work hard at it.