Welcome back to the POP QUIZ! This is a regular, yet totally unexpected, feature where we ask students, parents, staff, our friends, and partners to answer a few questions about what they are learning, reading, and thinking about. Today we have compiled some answers from the newest members of our CIS family: our interns! We have five fabulous students from Western Michigan University. Three are working towards their bachelor’s degree in the School of Social Work and two are working on their degree in Interdisciplinary Health Services. Here they are, in no particular order (drum roll, please): Evelin Calderon, Paige Graves, Karlee Shave, Steve Everett, and Ann Dziedziula.
Alright, interns: pencils out, eyes on your own paper. Good luck.
What is something interesting you’ve recently learned?
- I just learned about the Mobile Health Unit that CIS is helping to start in the Kalamazoo Public Schools.
- I recently learned how to ski.
- Telegraphing physical gestures through verbal greetings.
- I just read an article about groups and learned about many factors to consider that makes up a group.
- It is COLD. Plus, Spring Break is less than two months away. The Mobile Health Unit.
What are you currently reading?
- I have been reading a book by Lysa Terkurst called “Walking in Faith.”
- Girl with a Dragon Tattoo
- Girl on the Train
- The Game of Thrones series, book two, “Clash of Kings”
What do you want to be when you grow up?
- When I grow up, I want to be able to help others receive the same opportunities I did to receive a higher education. I would like to work in success programs.
- I would like to work for a university in the research department looking at how disease spreads.
- A school social worker.
- An occupational therapist for a school district.
- An effective counselor.
What is your favorite word right now?
- Quiche, because it is super yummy and fun to say.
- This is a Hawaiian fish. (This is what happens on a seven hour car ride.)
Will you share with us something that has been on your mind lately?
- My family back home, because I miss them.
- Racial inequality.
- I’ve been thinking about my trip that I am taking with my best friend to Europe.
- Graduating and continuing my education by completing my Masters.
- Graduating and what I’m going to do with my life.
Behind every successful student is a caring adult. Who has been your caring adult?
- My caring adult is my mom. She has always guided me and supported me in all my decisions.
- My parents have both played major roles in my life. They make sure that I have the support I need to be successful.
- My grandmother.
- My mom. She is my biggest supporter and she inspired me to be in a caring profession.
- My old high school football coach who always showed faith in me while simultaneously pushing me to be better.
Thank you, interns! Welcome aboard!